So, I've been working with Hailey for about a month and have had a lot of ups and downs. The first five days were wonderful. There was only one accident, so we were very excited. She got a piece of candy every time. It was our leftover Christmas candy so it didn't bother me.
Since Hailey was doing so well and we were out of candy, I though she didn't need it anymore. She understood the progress and was getting good, why does she need a constant reward.
I was so wrong, after three days of frequent accidents, I made a sticker chart. She'll get to have ice cream with daddy if she can earn 10 stickers. She still wanted candy after every time but finally got the idea of the stickers. After she got the ice cream with daddy, it was her big chocolate bunny for a reward. I'm kinda running out of ideas for rewards but most importantly I'm trying of needing the rewards.
Hailey will have 2 or 3 good days in a row and then she just quits on me. She doesn't care when she pees her pants and usually doesn't tell me that she's wet. She has never said that she needs to go. Generally, I'll ask her if she needs to go, then tell her that she needs to go, finally I just give in because I don't want it to be a power issue, and she pees 1 minute later. In the morning I ask her if she wants to wear panties or pulls up and she almost always chooses the panties. She also picked out these pretty panties so that reward is out of the picture.
I guess what I really want to know is...
1) how long does it take to potty train a child?
2) how old was your child when they actually got it and didn't need reminding or rewards?
3) are the lapse normal and I should continue or is it a sign that she's just not ready?
preschool: green eggs and ham
14 years ago
4 comments:
Ya that's a tough one without an easy answer. I would say consistency would be the key. If she knows she can keep going back to diapers/pull ups it is probably sending her the wrong message. Both my girls were different. Syd was a month shy of being 3 before she cared to wear panties. I don't ever remember dealing with accidents. I think she was just ready. Morgan was ready a lot sooner--I'm assuming cause she saw big sister in panties. Morgan potty trained 2 months after her 2nd birthday. I don't remember her having a ton of accidents either but i very well could be blocking those out. lol I know morgan had more accidents than Sydney but I don't recall frequency.
So I know I didn't give you much help. Hailey will be 3 this summer right? I would say maybe hold off for a couple of months and then about a week before you start, prep her again. And then just be consistent from there on out. Who knows, maybe she will train herself between now and then! Best of luck!!
That is really tough. I have no advise, just wanted to say it sounds like you are doing the best you can. As far as rewards, maybe you could get some cheap toys from DI or something. Then you wouldn't have to feel guilty about all the candy. I've heard of having a little toy bag they can pick toys out of. Maybe you could make it so ten stickers=picking a toy from the bag...
I don't know. Good luck though. Just remember it won't last forever. She will eventually get there.
I advise is to just stick with it! As you probably remember Eva was always willing to go but still had accidents. But I just continued to keep her in underwear and only used the pull ups for naps and when we were leaving the house. But all kids are different so it's hard to say how long it will take Haily to get it. After Eva turned to 2 a light did go on and she started going to the bathroom on her own with no help from me. Now I will just hear her in the bathroom yelling phrases at me like, "mommy I pee" or Mommy help I pooped" But still it took about 2 1/2 months of round the clock potty training. So hang in there. She will get it. you just have to be strong.
I say don't give up! Everything depends on the kids personality. We had Ian potty trained in a week but we still had to remind him at certain times in the day to just put down the toys and go to the bathroom. He never wanted to quit playing. We used M&M's as a reward (they last a while) and taped a hot wheels to the bathroom mirror that he got after a week of no accidents. I think lapses can be normal. I think Eliza is ready to potty trained, I just wish I had the time to do it!
Post a Comment