Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Happy New Year

I'm just starting to branch out and celebrate more holidays then just Christmas, Easter, and Birthdays. We did more for Thanksgiving in 2011 then any other year. However, New Years still went by without a party or any celebration expect for talking about it and watching fire works on YouTube at 6:30pm.

Robert has been coughing the past couple of days, so when Hannah had her seizure that Friday in the shoe store, I wonder if she might be getting sick and if that was affecting things. Well, by Saturday it was pretty obvious she wasn't feeling well. She got the same nasty cough Robert has.

We were up until 11:00pm with Rachel. After putting her down, we got ready for bed.  As were about to go to sleep, I heard Hannah really starting to cough and wheeze. I told Nate that I was afraid she might have a seizure (wheezing and seizures generally go hand in hand with Hannah but not all the time). Nathan asked what I was going to do about it? Was I going to sleep in the room with them? Well, I really didn't want to do that because I needed my sleep and will still need to take care of Rachel in the middle of the night. However, I still didn't like how she sounded so I went in their room to observe her for a little bit. When I was there, it seemed like she know I was there and kept trying to keep her eyes open. They didn't seem to focus on anything but I thought that was because she was tired. The real reason for her behavior is because she just had a seizure, this unfocused gazing and fluttering of eyes happened after another seizure when she was tired from it but fighting sleep. So, I was sitting by her for a minute or two, then she started her seizure. I called Nate in so her could watch her while I got frankincense oil for her. Nate picked her open and took her out of the room so we could tend to her without waking up Hailey. Then before the seizure was over, we heard fireworks going off marking the start of the new year.  I think it's a bad omen to start with year with a seizure.  It only lasted a minute or two and she had very little shaking. It still tough to see her go through this when her lips turn blue and you know she is having a hard time breathing to begin with.

So we just sat on the couch to help her breath better before laying her back down. About 20 minutes after the first one, another seizure started. This one was a grand mal and lasted 2-3 minutes. She had a high fever of 102 degrees. So we gave her an extra dose of Keppra and Tylenol. I stayed up with her for about an hour to make sure the fever was going down before we put her back to bed. Most likely one of us was going to take her to the ER if she had another one.

With the next day being Sunday, I kept Robert and Hannah home because they were sick. I also had Rachel since she's a nursing baby. Nathan went the first two hours then we switched for the last hour so I can do Primary things.   Hannah was missed in nursery and it was too bad Robert couldn't go to his first day in Primary.

However, by the end of the day everyone was fine. Here are the first pictures of the year, taken on Jan 1st during story time.  Generally the kids want me to read to them, so I thought it was cute when they were all around Nathan.  

No comments: