First here is a little background on our potty training experience. We first started potty training Hailey at 2 1/2 years. After doing it for about a month, I realized that Hailey just wasn't ready. She didn't care whether so was wet or not. The rewards just weren't helping so I just stopped.
When Hailey turned 3 she started talking about the potty, so I knew we were getting close to potty training again. However, I wasn't ready to deal with it and we weren't at home very much during the summer. (She had dance twice a week and park lunches everyday)
Now that the fall semester started, I decided we would potty train again. For the first two weeks, she kept fighting it and I gave her a choice on whether she wants panties or diapers. She started choosing diapers all the time and really fought me. If I convince her to wear panties, she wouldn't go on the potty. Also whenever we went out, I put her in pull ups.
Since all this wasn't working for me, I remembered that the books "How to Potty Train in One Day" had the children spend the first half of the day training her doll. So, Hailey and I spent almost two whole days potty training "Briella" (she wets when she is given a bottle).
Since Hailey did such a great job training her doll, she got to pick out new panties. She picked out Tinkerbell panties. This happened last Thursday night.
So now that's it's been a week of Hailey wearing panties all day until bed time when she gets pull ups. During her hour quiet time she is still in panties and has a potty in her room. She only used that potty one day and has peed in her bed three times.
Hailey has had one completely dry day which was Sunday. Generally, we have 5 accidents a day. We talk about good choices and bad choices. She knows that wetting her panties it a bad choice and to make it better she needs to go on the potty. However, knowing the right answers and actually doing it is different. When Hailey does use the potty she gets one Princess Fruit Snacks (she also picked those out).
We have a pee-pee timer to is set to go off every 20 minutes. Then it generally takes 5-10 minutes to convince Hailey to go on the potty and sit long enough to count to 10. By the end of the day I am out of patience and discourage but it's only been a week. Hopefully, by the time the baby comes Hailey will be completely trained. I have about 3 months left. Wish me luck!
preschool: green eggs and ham
14 years ago
3 comments:
Good luck! And Briella feels so honored to have the potty doll named after her ;)
I can't believe you only have 3 months left! and as for Haily...she will get it just don't give up.
I am sorry it has been so rough! Hang in there! It took me 4 months after having Brycen to even think about potty training Jacen. I hope she gets it before the new baby!! Sometimes kids can have a mind of their own.
Post a Comment