Monday, October 31, 2011

Last thoughts on my pregnancy

I was taking Hailey to dance class Thursday afternoon, when I stepped in a pothole in the parking lot and fell down.  I was 37 weeks and 5 days along, so falling was very difficult.  I was holding Hannah at the time getting her out of the car with all the other bags I bring in (my purse, the diaper bag, a toy bag with Hailey's dance shoes.)  When I stepped into the hole and fell down, I tried to land on my right side since Hannah was on my left. She quickly untangled herself and ran off with Hailey and Robert.  My leg hurt a lot and when I shifted my weight, I felt the tendons move back into place.  I could not get up and there was no one in the parking lot to help me.  I called for the kids and surprisingly Robert came back.  He was very concerned for his mom and took all the bags for me then tried to help me up.  It was a very sweet moment especially since we've had a very tough day together.  Using the car next to me and Robert's encouragement, I was able to get up and hobble inside.  The lady at the front desk was very concerned and thought I was in labor.  Luckily, I didn't twist, hit, or stretch my belly or back in anyway so I knew the baby was fine.  She helped me locate my kids, got me a chair to sit on and one to prop up my leg, and got me an ice pack.  My right ankle and knee hurt a lot and you could already see the bruising.  I had to fill out a form and I had Nathan come to help load up the car when Hailey was done with class.  I kept thinking "how can I handle natural child birth if I am having a hard time with just my leg hurting?" About two weeks before Hannah was due, I also fell down and hurt my right leg.  I was walking down the stairs to warm up the car before church since it was snowing and I slipped and fell into the snow.  Luckily with both incidences, I healed within a week and before the baby came.

Then the following Tuesday, "morning sickness" hit again and I was in bed as much as I could manage.  Nathan stayed home in the morning until 10:00am and came back home at 3:00pm since I had a midwife appointment. I tried to go about my daily activities but it was tough to feel so bad. I took Robert to class class and my friend, Rita asked if the baby dropped because my belly looked lower.  Later in the day when I was laying down again, I realized that the baby wasn't kicking my ribs like it was earlier that morning and in fact couldn't actually reach my ribs. So the baby dropped at 38 weeks and 3 days. I was determined to go to my appointment to get measured so I could know for certain if the baby dropped. It wasn't until I was 20 minutes into the drive to the appointment, that I had to pull over and throw up.  I called them, cancelled and went back to bed.  Again, I thought how am I going to handle natural childbirth if I can't handle this nauseous feeling. Luckily, it was just a one day thing.  I think that I just overworked myself the day before by picking up apples.

With these events, I was sure I the baby was going to come early.  So when the Saturday before my due date came and went without any contractions, I was a bit disappointed.  However, my mom arrived that day and she needed rest so it was a good thing labor didn't start.  I'm so thankful to have my mother here and we kept busy everyday.  The house got cleaned and straighten up and she was able to learn what a typical week at our house was like.  Still I went to bed everyday hopeful that labor would start and then woke up every morning disappointed.  I like being pregnant. I love my pregnancy clothes and the cute expanding belly that is housing a precious child.  I will greatly miss being pregnant and the attention it brings.  However, I'm ready for the next stage in life to begin. I'm ready for a newborn.

3 comments:

Rita Peck said...

So glad everything has worked out. Can't wait to meet yourlittle one. Let me know if you need some girl time.

Scott and Stacia said...

That fall sounds like it hurt. So glad the kids were safe and that Robert could give you the needed motivation to get up. I hope you are still doing well! Can't wait to hear about your new little one! Best of luck!

Scott Crawford said...

I hope you recognize how blessed you are with regards to pregnancy. It must be a tender mercy.