Halloween fell on a Monday this year and it was a very busy Monday for the kids. Hailey had a costume parade at her school that Gramma went to and then had a class Halloween party. Robert also had a Halloween party at preschool. So both kids wore their costume all day.
I brought a 0-3M zebra costume about two years ago. It might have been just a bit big on Rachel but decided there was no point in putting it on her. A two day old isn't ready for the trick-or-treat crowds just yet so we'll make up for it next year.
Here are some before trunk-or-treat family pictures. I'm not sure if we'll ever get another family picture with all the kids looking straight and smiling.Gramma and Nathan took the kids to the church for trunk-or-treat. I didn't realize that it was for all three wards that attend our church building, so we ran out of candy quickly.
Then they came home and we had dinner. After that, Nate and I took the kids trick-or-treating on our little street. Hardly anyone was out passing candy and the kids lost interest.
Our last stop was our own house of course.
Gramma passed out candy that was kept in the green pumpkin. (We have four plastic pumpkins all different colors). We had a lot of extra candy that we set aside to pass out at the door. Only 4-6 groups actually came to our door. If we are here next year, I would put all the candy for the trunk-or-treat and not even mess with going door to door.
The kids ended up with a lot of candy. I'm not a big candy fan and I hate the effects of candy on the kids. So generally after a day or two, I will hide the candy and then we forget about having it. This year however, I saw a poster at Hailey's school that Kidd Dentistry is buying back candy the next day from 5-7pm. After Nate filled a gallon bag of candy he liked, mom and I filled a small bag of the ones we liked. Then we let the kids pick out 5 pieces of candy before we sold it back. We ended up having 7 lbs of candy to sell. We spilt the candy into two bags to make it easier to carry. There were two scales and each bag weighed 3.5lbs. So they rounded up and we got $8 for 7lbs of candy. Plus they had sugar free candy, tooth brushes, and other small toys that the kids could take with them.
With the money we went right next door to Honk's Dollar Store and each kid picked out two toys. Hailey got a crown and a Space DVD. Robert got a plastic train and track set and a kid music CD. Hannah got a small plastic fast food toys and a different music CD. They were happy with the toys and with handling money. I will sell back candy every year now as long as the kids will let us.
1 comment:
I love the selling the candy idea! Here in VA we donated all our candy to Treats for our Troops, and they paid to have it mailed to soldiers who are deployed. Great costumes too!
Post a Comment