So Tuesday was the dance recital and my mom left that Wednesday to spend time with her sisters-in-law in Utah. So Thursday started out typical. Nathan got up with the kids and got breakfast for them. Then around 8:30-9, I took Robert. Hannah, and Rachel to the gym so I could exercise. After that we planned on going to the library for story time.
It was a very cold day and Hannah seemed to have a harder time with the cold then usually and wanted her blanket in the car. She also carried it to the gym. I don't like her special blankets to leave the house because they get that much more dirty and she has to have them to sleep with.
As we were leaving the gym, I was carrying Rachel and holding onto Hannah's hand to help her across the parking lot. She kept tripping a lot which is a little frustrating but I thought it was because her was tripping over the blanket. We were about three cars away from our car, when Hannah went completely slack on me. I looked down at her and saw that she was really in a seizure since her eyes were rolling. I knelt down to help support her weight but since it was so cold, I didn't want her to really be laying on the floor. Now I am completely stuck because I am still holding Rachel and can't get them both to the car. Luckily, I was an older couple leaving the gym and I called out to them. The lady held Rachel while the man helped open up the car for us. The seizure was more of an abstance seizure since there was no shaking and lasted close to 2 minutes. I was able to get everyone in the car and then we went straight home instead of going to the library.
I worry about other people seeing her in a seizure because it's a hard thing to watch. The couple that helped me actually had a son or a close friend who was epileptic. This is also the first seizure that Robert has really been aware of. So I tried to explain that Hannah's brain is sick and it makes her fall down and shake. I wanted him to understand the situation and that he needs to tell me if he sees Hannah in a seizure. He seems okay with it for the most part and when we went back to the gym the next day, Robert told me that that is where Hannah had her seizure.
I called Nathan to tell him what happened and to make sure that he gave Hannah her medicine that morning. He actually didn't have the chance to give it to her. So about 3 hours after she normally gets her medicine, she had a seizure. Since she was sleeping in her bed, I decided I'll just give it to her when she wakes up. She slept for about two hours until it was lunch time. I'm pretty sure I had her take an afternoon nap but I'm not sure when or how long it lasted.
That afternoon, Hailey had a doctor's appointment at 3:40pm to get evaluated for speech due to her stuttering. Long story short, we waited an hour before we got called to go back to the rooms, then waited another 30 minutes before the doctor was able to see us. Hailey actually stopped stuttering a couple of days before the appointment and the doctor wasn't able to hear the problem. Her stuttering is more of a fluency problem because it accures whenever she starts a sentence and is excited about what she wants to say. At the very end, I mentioned that he 2 year old sister has no speech, and he told me to get Hannah some help.
So, finally we are done with the doctor's and we left to eat at McDonalds. After we ate our food and the kids were all playing, Hannah came back for some water. She started walking away with her cup after we told her to stay by the table. So I got up, with Rachel in my arms, to get the cup back. She thought it was a game and started running away from me laughing. After just a few steps, she started jerking and was in a seizure right before she hit the floor. It was quite horrible to watch. It was a grand mal seizure that lasted a minute. What made it even worse is that once again we forgot her medicine. She usually gets a dose at dinner but we weren't home and wasn't originally planning on eating out so we didn't have it with us. Also, I never gave her a dose after she woke up from her early nap that day. Both seizures she had today was our fault.
I told Robert and Hailey that was had to go because Hannah had a seizure. I told them again that a seizure is when her brain acts funny and she falls down without crying and she usually shakes. So, to make sure they understand what is going on, I asked them why we were leaving. They both answer "Hannah had a Caesar!" It's cute to hear them say it and Hannah's seizures doesn't scare them like I thought they would.
So moral of the story...NEVER EVER FORGET HER MEDICINE!!!
preschool: green eggs and ham
14 years ago
1 comment:
So sorry to hear about the seizures. I hope she outgrows them soon! Also wanted to say great job on keeping up with your posts :) I enjoy reading about what you guys are up to.
Post a Comment