Sunday, January 20, 2013

Jump Rope Accident

Friday Sept 28th, Hailey had a tough day. She came out of school very sad which is not like her. She told me that during recess, she was running to get a jump rope and fell down. She went to the nurse and got band aids on her knees. She also has scrapes on her knuckles. I'm sure her teacher would have noticed there was something wrong but there was a substitute teacher that day. That night she feel asleep at 6:00pm which is not like her at all. Even though bed time is at 7:00pm she usually stays awake until 8:00pm.

On Saturday she still complained about her arm hurting (I thought she meant her scraped knuckles). Finally at lunch time, Nathan pointed out that Hailey was pointing to her wrist. It was swollen but we thought it was just twisted and there's nothing anyone can do about it. On Sunday, I noticed that Hailey would not use her right hand at all, which is her dominant hand. 

Since it still hurt on Monday (Oct 1st), I sent her to school and called the doctors. We got into them around 9:30am. The doctor said it seems broken but we need x-rays. So we ran to the hospital and got x rays done.

While waiting for the results, we went to McDonalds. Finally, we were called and told that she has a buckle fracture. The two bones just below her wrist, squeezed together and broke.  Luckily, they did not move at out of place and did not need to be set. Hailey was able to get into the bone and joint doctor that day for a cast. Luckily, Teasha was able to watch the other kids so I could just focus on Hailey. She was so brave and happy to get a pink cast. She never complained about the difficulties that the cast caused. 

Two weeks later, we got another x ray and a week after that she went into a splint for just a week. I think she liked the attention that she received from having a cast. It was fun for her to have her classmates sign her cast.



No comments: