Robert woke us up at 7:30am, which isn't a bad time but still I didn't want to get out my warm bed. This morning was pretty good and I wanted to do a lot of baking today. I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast while starting a loaf of bread in the bread maker. I was able to wash most dishes last night, so Robert helped me put them away this morning. Also, I switched the laundry over to the dryer (which was something I was supposed to do yesterday). I was wearing down at this point and took a little nap before Robert's first soccer game at 11:00am.
It was a cloudy, windy day. Robert only had soccer shorts or blue jeans to wear. Poor guy didn't have any sweat pants like the other kids. He was freezing and wouldn't put on his shin guards, not for me and not for the couch. We got them on but then he didn't want his shoes back on (the guards had ankle support which stayed on with a strap underneath his foot which didn't make him happy.) Eventually, he was fully dressed for the game but wouldn't go out to kick the ball. Hannah was bundled up but still got a running nose, and Hailey had the time of her life on the playground. Finally, the game ended, Robert got a snack and we went home.
We had a late lunch a little after 12 and neither Hannah nor I ate much. Hannah didn't eat because she was tired, and I was too hungry to eat and had to take a nap before I threw up. (morning sickness still, I'm 12 weeks along).
Nate took Hailey and Robert with him to run errands while we slept. Then started at 3:00ish I made homemade rolls for an exciting dinner of rolls, baked potatoes (which I'm craving), and steak.
Hannah woke up from her nap fine and had a bottle. Since it was snack time we had chocolate bunnies (from Annie's) and I had grapefruit. Hannah wanted nothing which is very unlike her. About a 1/2 hour later she started eating the grapefruit. Things were pretty normal for an afternoon, and while Hannah was walking around in the kitchen, she threw up a little (around 4:00ish). She was pretty docile and I had a pineapple upside down cake to finish she I strapped her in the Ergo carrier which she loved. I noticed our neighbors who have a swing set were playing in their yard, so I had Nate take Robert over. With potatoes and rolls in the oven, Hannah and I were just chilling on the couch. Before Nate went out I asked him if we should give her Keppra now instead in an hour after dinner. He said what difference could an hour make? Since Hannah doesn't snuggle much anymore, I just stayed put to enjoy her. About 10 minutes later, she started making a strange gurgling noise and started her seizure. Holding her on her back (which is what Nate was told to do the first time), I carried her with me to call to Nate. He came rushing in and held Hannah vertically, and made sure nothing was in her mouth. We decided to call 911 and was about to have an ambulance set over, when the seizure stopped (it lasted 1-2 minutes, definitely less then 5 minutes). Dispatcher wanted to know if we wanted her to call ahead to the hospital to tell them we are coming. I said sure, I was committed to taking her in.
There is a family in our new ward that have really taken us in and befriended us. They have done alot for us, like giving us a TV and a bigger dining table. I've wanted to do something for them, so we were going to babysit there 5 kids while they went to dinner with some friends at 6. So we canceled at 5:00pm and they offered to watch our kids while we went. By 5:30pm everyone was ready and we set dinner aside, and brought the rolls for the kids since that's what they'll eat.
At the hospital, the asked a lot of questions, got a urine sample and took a chest x-ray to see if she's sick and if that caused the seizure. Her temperature was up at 102. They gave her Tylenol and she was still out of it, cranky, and fighting sleep. She then slept for maybe a 1/2 hour while the waited for results. Next door, was a very loud, angry, drunk, suicidal father of Nathan's colleague's girlfriend (practical a stranger to me). I say her in the hall having a tough time with her dad's situation and I just went out a gave her a hug and talked a lot which helped her feel better. Maybe we needed to be there to help her feel a little better? Who knows.
Finally we were sent home with no answer but that it was brought on by some virus most likely (but that doesn't explain why she reacts this way). We picked up the kids at 7:45pm who greatly enjoyed their time.
The cake wasn't cooked so I started preheating the oven to 350. Then Nate mentioned wanting the meat and how it's not fully cooked so I switched the oven to boiler, while we got baked potatoes ready for everyone. Then there was alot of smoke in the kitchen, the muffin tin was covering the exhaust burner. I quickly moved it and went to put the meat in, to notice that I already put the cake in and it was on fire. (I have no memory of moving the cake over since the oven wasn't fully heated yet, but it was a long afternoon).
Finally, we sent to kids to bed, finished cooking the meat, scraped the burned top of the cake and baked the rest of it (which turned out wonderful). I still needed to prepare for my new calling tomorrow and we had no food to eat for tomorrow. Now it's midnight and we are going to bed.
This was one crazy day but luckily Hannah is just fine and with each episode we are learning better on how to take care of her.
preschool: green eggs and ham
14 years ago
3 comments:
holy cow! crazy!! let me know if we can do anything for you :) we dont live too far away!
Oh my word! Audrey, we live right up the road from you now, so if you ever need anything please let me know! It sounds like she's ok, but I'll keep you guys in my prayers for sure.
Wow Audrey, you and Nate are super-trooper parents to go through a day like that and still be sane! I will pray for your family and especially Hannah.
Post a Comment