Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shoe Store Seizure

These pictures were taken on December 28th. Hannah loves having her picture taken and then seeing herself. Hailey and Robert joined in on the second picture. Then Hailey and Hannah are dancing in the last picture. I love seeing the kids interact nicely with each other. However these pictures are unrelated to what I want to blog about. I just like breaking up a lot of text with fun pictures and it shows that Hannah is just a normal two year old most of the time.
 Nathan was getting ready for his big math conference in Boston, so we went to Shoe Carnival on Friday Dec 30th around 4:45pm. We actually had a fun time shoe shopping. Hailey, Robert, and Hannah ran around in the aisles but weren't making a mess. Rachel was just a little fussy but not too bad. The store asked some trivia questions so their customers can win prizes. Nathan answered one and got a Frisbee and I answered another for a $4 off coupon. As I was helping Nate pick out shoes, I checked the main aisle that the kids were playing in. I saw Hailey trying to help Hannah up but felt like the situation was strange. Generally Hannah bounces up pretty quick and whines when her siblings help her. I went to see how Hannah was and she was flat on her back with her hand stuck in the air in a petite mal seizure. Her eyes were rolling, her lips turning blue, but just a little shaking.

*Side note: A week later while at the library, Hannah was spinning around a pole and got herself very dizzy. When she went to walk away, she quickly lost her balance and fell down on her side with her hand stuck in the air. This is the same position we found her in at the store, so I believe the seizure caught her by surprised, made her dizzy, and she fell down. Her arm was still stuck in the air because the seizure makes her go rigid. This is unlike the seizure on November 13th when she sat down, laid down, and then was in a seizure. It was like she knew what was going to happen then.
 I felt so bad that I wasn't right by her side to catch her but it's also important for me to treat her like a normal two year. We probably got to her right after it started because no one else in the store really noticed. Since I was holding Rachel, Nathan came a picked Hannah up. The seizure lasted 2-3 minutes. Since Hailey found her, I explained to her what a seizure is and that she needs to get mom and dad whenever she sees Hannah like this. This is the first seizure that Hailey has actually seen or noticed. Since they are hard for me to watch, I was afraid that this would scare the kids a lot. However, I was wrong and Hailey handled it just fine. Hannah fell asleep after the seizure in Nathan's lap which made trying on shoes a little more difficult. Unfortunately, since Nathan had his feet ripped up as a kid, most shoes hurt his feet and we left only with some brown shoe polish for his church shoes instead of job winning shoes.
With this seizure, it confirmed that fact that her seizures are once a week now. We increased her medicine at the beginning of the week but medicine changes can take up to two weeks to adjust to. So we'll see in a couple of weeks if Keppra needs to be increased again. We know now that it is not good to increase Hannah fast. If we do it causes more medicine related seizures instead of "natural" ones. I'm glad that we can learn more about Hannah's seizure through each one, though I hope she doesn't have enough of them to turn us into experts. We also noticed that these once a week seizures occurs on the weekends, after noon, and outside of home. This could be caused by just having a different schedule then what we typically do during the week.

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

what a fun christmas. I wish you luck with hannah and the seizures. My brother had them and I know how it worried my mother. Good luck