Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Miss Hannah

Hannah was born 10 minutes into the 16th of December so Nathan and Hannah have separate birthdays. 

For Hannah's birthday, I wanted to make her a teddy bear cake. I remember seeing a picture of my dad celebrating his 30th birthday with a teddy bear cake that my mom did and I have loved that idea ever since.

So first I started with the pan.
 I followed the instructions and the cake came out easily and didn't crack!
 Then I tried my best to get light brown for the ears, paws, and mouth but it ended up having looking more pink then brown to me. Then the eyes and nose was supposed to be a black.  So, I need to work on mixing the colors a little better.  I understand why they wanted me to make the colors first before frosting because I ran out of the dark brown for the fur and got a different shade. However, I'm using my mom's frosting bags that she has had for over 20 years. They kept falling apart on me and I couldn't finish making "fur flowers" on the bear since the frosting was coming out the side on my hands and not through the tip. 

 So after almost two hours, this is the final product.  It ended up being harder than I thought but once I get new bags I think I'll be set to do a train cake for Robert. Overall, I do like how the cake turned out, it's just not like the picture I was trying to copy.
 I wanted to do more of a party for Hannah, so first we played put the heart on the teddy.
 Then we played throw the bee into the bee hive.  Hannah likes putting things in buckets.
 Then Hannah opened her presents.

 However, she just liked the tissue paper. Do you see that the present is out of the bag now and that she doesn't care?!?

 It's an alligator that she can pull around.
 Here's her next present.
 She did okay with the wrapping paper but liked tissue paper better.

 She got little lift-the-flap books about moms, dad, grandparents, body parts, and playing peek-a-boo. Robert and Hailey really like these books. I don't think Hannah's ready yet.
 Then they went to the table to color teddy bears.
 Hannah did a little squiggle but mainly tried to eat the crayon.


 Here is our little neighbor friend who the kids where playing with earlier. We told her family that today was Hannah's birthday and then she insisted to bring Hailey a birthday present (play dough) and a birthday card.  She is such a cute little girl so we invited her to stay for our little party.
 Hannah attacked the bear's foot while we are singing to her.
 I think she enjoyed her cake.

 A lot of crumbs went into her lap.
Happy Birthday Miss Hannah!

No comments: